For this our sixth post in our Delving Into Data series, we take a look back at how the UK housing market stacked up at the end of last year.
Insights from November of last year include:
- With just over 900,000 homes, Birmingham ranks the highest for the number of properties within a single post code region. Of these, 14,596 properties were listed On The Market as For Sale in November 2016. At the other end of the scale, Lerwick in the Shetland Islands, accounted for only around 10,000 properties listed On The Market, with just 22 of these homes advertised as For Sale during this period
- Across the UK, the average property sale price was £321,108
- The average UK property rental price was £1080 pcm, with the lowest rental price of £327 recorded in Belfast. Perhaps surprisingly, Edinburgh had the highest rental average at £2,241 - higher even than Kingston upon Thames at £2,041 and South West London at £1,856
- On average in November 2016, 1.95% of properties in the UK were at the For Sale stage. 0.61% was the percentage share of properties for rent during this same period
- Total sale values of all properties listed For Sale across the UK in November 2016 reached over £205b, with over 638k properties For Sale
- The lowest average sale price of all London districts was £272,557, located in SE28. The average sale price for all London districts was just under the million pound tag, at £981,995!
- Removing London from the equation, the average sale price in the UK came in at just under £290,000 - dropping the nationwide average by nearly £30k
- The longest average time On The Market for properties listed as For Sale was 409 days - just over 1 year
Look out for our next Delving Into Data feature on our Insights page.